Plan to attend in St. Joseph or Rosemount
Ken Ostlie, Extension Entomologist, with the assistance of Ph.D. graduate students Trisha Leaf and Edwin Benkert, will be holding two corn insect scouting clinics this week. The primary focus will be on corn rootworms with an opportunity to review European corn borer scouting. The St. Joseph location features predominantly northern corn rootworm and European corn borer while the Rosemount location features western corn rootworms and Bt resistance.
The clinics will cover scouting techniques, management options and thresholds plus provide hands-on experience in scouting using both visual counts and sticky traps. The discussion on the role of scouting in managing these dynamic insect threats should interest corn producers, agronomists and retailers alike.
St. Joseph, MN
- Jerome and Terry Salzer farm near St. Joseph, MN (Stearns County)
- Time: 10:00 AM, Friday, August 5
- Address: 30278 W. Minnesota Ave., St. Joseph, MN 56374 (map)
Directions from I94 exit: ½ mile northeast on Co. Rd. 2, turn right on W. Minnesota St., proceed ¼ mile or so East to first corn field on right (just past farmstead but before you reach St. Benedicts).
- Rosemount Research and Outreach Center just east of Rosemount, MN (Dakota County)
- Time: 2:30 PM, Friday, August 5
- Address: 1605 160th St. W., Rosemount, MN 55068 (map)
Directions from I35. Take Co. Rd. 46 east approximately 8 miles (1.5 miles past MN 3).
Directions from US-52, take Co. Rd. 46 west approximately 3 miles.
Park in lot on south side of Co. Rd. 46.