Skip to main content

Do you still need training or certification to apply dicamba?

For the 2018 growing season in Minnesota, there is a special training needed to use the new dicamba products. Specifically, these dicamba products are: Engenia®Herbicide, FexapanTM Herbicide plus VaporGrip® Technology, and Xtendimax® with VaporGrip® Technology.

If you haven’t been trained yet this year for dicamba, or if you still need to be certified or licensed to use Restricted Use Pesticides, this information will help you get started.

Do you still need your dicamba training?

  • Training is now offered online. You can find links to all three online trainings here:
  • Training is offered by all three dicamba manufacturers: BASF, DowDupont, and Monsanto. 
  • Attending one training qualifies you to apply all three products. Your training does not have to be offered by the manufacturer whose product you apply. 
  • If you won’t use dicamba, you don’t need training. 
  • It is the manufacturer’s job to tell the Minnesota Department of Agriculture that you completed training. 
For other questions, begin at the dicamba FAQ page from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.

Do you still need to get licensed or certified to apply Restricted Use Pesticides (including dicamba)?

The three dicamba products mentioned above are Restricted Use Pesticides, so you will still need a Private (farmer) Pesticide Certification or a Pesticide Applicator License (Commercial or Noncommercial) to use dicamba. This is in addition to the dicamba training.

Private applicators: This certification is for people who are farmers, or apply Restricted Use Pesticides to land they own, rent, or manage for agricultural production.

Commercial pesticide applicator: This license is for people who apply any pesticides for customers. Those customers are billed or invoiced.
  • If you need a Commercial pesticide applicator license, begin here

Noncommercial pesticide applicator: This license is for people who apply Restricted Use Pesticides to their employer’s land, as part of their employment.
  • If you need a Noncommercial pesticide applicator license, begin here

By: Lauren Werner-Foley, Tana Haugen-Brown, and Natalie Hoidal
Print Friendly and PDF